- This event has passed.
Contemplative Psychotherapy — POSTPONED
Sunday, April 19th, 2020 @ 11:30 am
This event has been postponed until Fall 2020.
Leslie Reed Shields, LCSW
As clinicians, in this time of uncertainty, might we be called to journey a different path in our clinical work?
Contemplative Psychotherapy is a therapeutic approach that has at its core the belief that one’s inner wisdom and natural dignity is sacred and universal. While early developmental experiences which affect current feelings, moods and behaviors may mask one’s natural capacity for emotional and spiritual well-being, it is the cultivation of focused attention, openness, compassion, reflection, a deepening and heightened awareness that ignites personal growth and leads to stronger, more sustaining connections with oneself and others. Contemplative psychotherapy’s foundation evolved to include a blending of Buddhist, Christian and Hebrew traditions with more traditional forms of psychotherapy, from a humanistic perspective.
Contemplative Practice is attuned to:
- An open and present stance that is relational in nature and allows for empathic engagement of another’s experience without letting go of your own.
- Engaging the use of silence as reverence. Silence helps draw together the scattered and dissipated energies of a fragmented existence and dissolve distance between others.
- Engaging a psychological and spiritual state where our ego does not run our lives but is measured in response to what our heart and body tells us is true.
- The creation of spaciousness, that makes room for one’s wholeness to emerge, around a full range of emotions.
- Attending to what we experience as reverie and those spaces in the therapeutic experience that are without words, and which we call sacred.
- The opportunity to sit with the fullness of our experience.
This event will be held in Woodbury, NY.
(Two sessions: April 19 and May 3, 2020)
Members: Three courses per year included with membership
Non-Members: $25 per course hour ($125.00 for a 5 hour course)
*Continuing Education credits: The Suffolk Institute for Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0133.
7.5 CE credit hours are available for this course.