From the Admissions Committee
Psychoanalytic training enriches one’s understanding of the human condition by fostering greater empathy for the patients’ experience and greater awareness of one’s own, as participants in the therapy relationship. Our goal is to enable the candidate to become highly skilled at evaluating and assessing patients and develop an expertise in building and maintaining therapeutic alliances, so as to deepen and expand the therapeutic exploration.
Requirements / Qualifications
Since the One Year Program is didactically the first year of the Four Year Program, requirements for entry into either program are the same.
- Completion of a Graduate Degree: M.D., Ph.D. or Psy.D in Psychology, Clinical Social Work, Psychiatric Nursing, Marriage and Family Counseling, Mental Health Counseling, or Art Therapy.
- State license that accompanies that degree, which allows you to practice your profession privately.
To apply for admission please submit the following:
- Complete the Application for Admission Form
- Copy of your license
- Copy of your professional liability insurance
- Three letters of reference
- Personal statement stating your reasons for seeking advanced training.
- Application fee is $35.00 (Please make check payable to The Suffolk Institute — SIPP)
To apply by mail please send your completed application to:
Frances G. Scheff, LCSW
Chair of Admissions Committee
Suffolk Institute for Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis
15 Glen Street, Suite 302
Glen Cove, NY 11542
Tuition and Fees
For those who have completed course work but not all other graduation requirements, a fee of $75 per trimester will apply.
If a candidate needs to discontinue the program during the trimester, the following refund policy will operate:
- 75% of the course fee will be refunded if the Executive Director is notified before the third class.
- 50% of the course fee will be refunded if the Executive Director is notified before the fourth class.
- No subsequent refunds will be made.